BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Thursday, March 5, 2009

who, who? why???

and whoopee-dee-doo! i seem to have recovered my aptitude for writing prose and poetry... thought i'd lost the touch for it, heh. imagine. just in the span of less than an hour, i wrote two poems. and yesterday, i plied myself into remaking one of the jester's stories, and boy, i missed the fun...

ye who want to have a peek: www.adelandria.multiply.com.
i refuse to post any poetry here; the name of this blog should be indication enough. it's to be strictly journalistic, whilst the other one's purely for the sake of the art.
as for the short story... its a bit of a game-ish, riddle-ish kind of mystery piece... i left enough clues to lead to the answer... check it out at www.thejestersayshehe.wordpress.com.
try figure it out before you ask me for the answer. XD

enough about prose and poetry. i thoroughly enjoyed myself this morning in both AN101 and PSY111, particularly in the former. i had not envisioned how rich my own culture is, or how simply membership in the clans can signify so much. miss Y described all about her family lineage, tracing all the way to a mandarin officer, was it in the sung dynasty? neither had i known that having your name painted in gold on your gran/granda's tombstone meant you were a direct descendant responsible for carrying the line on (essentially meaning only sons get that), and we girls get red. not very fair, is it?


all this... its just gotten me all fired up wanting to know more about my lineage. i know little else about my great-grandmother, except that she was of the priviledged class, having tiny bound feet, and the rich-man's luxury of being an opium addict. my great-great-grandfather was no ordinary man, it seems. who was he? i hear tales of said lady leaving her grand home with the vast courtyards and endless passages running through the different quarters of the house. who was the first Lim to step onto borneo land and establish such a lineage? who was the man from whom my grandfather's, my father's, mine and my cousins' name sprung? who are you? were you a mandarin? a pirate? unlikely, given the clues from my great-granda's station. who were you?


imagine my shock when i asked my dad if he belonged to the clan of our namesake, and he replied in the affirmative. i had no inkling at all of his involvement, albeit probably as an inactive member in such associations whatsoever. it bodes well for me though, a lovely chance to actually be able to find out what i want to know. i must admit, my embracing the christian faith does not allow me to participate in the deity and ancestral worship so much a part of the clan rituals. but i will not give my faith up. i merely want answers, that's all.

and all that makes me wonder... why did my grandfather choose for me this name i bear? what does it mean? i cannot find it in any dictionary; no one has ever seen nor heard of it. i myself can only deduce the pronounciation based on the romanization of my name my grandfather has given me. for years i've been trying to find out, asking numerous people, and fending off curious questions pertaining to the meaning of the word which i'm ashamed to admit, i dont know. it's so very tempting, the urge to seek out miss Y and ask her help, to see if any of her fellow intellectualists can trace this word for me, except i dont know how to word my request. would she be offended? would i be imposing upon her? or would she welcome it as a challenge? i want to know, so very badly...

3 comments:

  1. yeah... i think so too... but how to ask her? email? lol...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ask her in person, if you wish. She's easy to talk to, even about random stuff. I'm sure she'll be interested.

    ReplyDelete